World Association of Newspapers and News Publishers


Mobile apps account for half of digital media time in the US

World News Publishing Focus

World News Publishing Focus
Your Guide to the Changing Media Landscape

Mobile apps account for half of digital media time in the US

The trend of apps dominating mobile online use is clear, as last year the figure was at 44%. If tablets are also taken into account, the total mobile app use is at 68%, leaving desktop at 32%.

Marketing Land argues that this development shows that mobile should now be prioritised as the “first and primary platform”: currently, mobile is often seen as a supplement to the desktop experience, while it might make sense to reverse that thinking.

Meanwhile, TechCrunch points out that the growing app traffic represents bad news for Google, as its search doesn’t cover the information included in apps – something Google seems to be working on.

Although users seem to prefer apps in general, data from other sources shows that users typically use only a few apps regularly, which makes it challenge to become one of the go-to apps for mobile audiences.

Author

Teemu Henriksson's picture

Teemu Henriksson

Date

2016-09-05 18:48

Author information

The news publishing industry is experiencing transformation at an ever-growing pace, with new policy issues arising as the landscape changes.

We will be examining policy discussions that will define the news publishing environment of the future, the key topics being internet governance, privacy and copyright. Click here to learn more about our work.

WAN-IFRA Media Policy team and experts.


© 2019 WAN-IFRA - World Association of News Publishers

Footer Navigation